Rowlf

Rowlf

Sunday, March 23, 2014

So..You're Planning a Trip to Europe!

Since last September, I've been plotting out my very first trip over seas to visit friends of mine who are living in Romania. Out of all of the countries, Romania was always on my Europe list, but I never expected it to be my first country over seas. When you have people that can let you bunk for free- you go. And I am excited.

What I've discovered on this journey to the other side of the pond is how much research you need to do beforehand.  While I love to plan, sometimes I am super glad that I do have friends already there, because I'm pretty sure I would have been *that* person in Hostel that was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Here are some tips and tricks I have learned and I bequeath to you while you plan that trip over seas!


1.) Find the perfect piece of luggage. Figure out a way to pack light, and downsize the amount of crap you want to bring with you. Baggage fees when you're overseas SUCCCKKK.


2.)  Do your air fare research. I found that checking later at night during the week resulted in more reasonable airfares. Whatever you do, avoid the weekend.  AVOID. THE. WEEKEND. You'll be figuratively throwing money out the window.


3.) If you're a nervous flier, don't look at the news. Like, ever. Whenever you're getting ready to fly, shit always happens.


4.) If you can, listen to podcasts, lectures, go to a travel show. My favorite people to listen to and to watch  are Rick Steves, Samantha Brown, and Wild Things with Dominic Monaghan. While Dom may have a show about wild creatures, he explores some amazing places, like Indiana Jones!




5.) Save any Money you can for extra things. Because, travel.  And unless you are *not* like me, and stick to a rigid schedule and don't feel like varying off course...well.. then you're going to need it.

6.)  Trip Advisor is your friend. READ ALL THE REVIEWS!



7.) Learn key phrases in the language of the country you're visiting, if any. You don't want to be THAT person asking for a cow wearing a polka dotted hat, when really you just need a bathroom.









No comments:

Post a Comment